I have been wanting to give a talk on some of the exciting features of ES6 Harmony - and how you could start utilizing certain components of ES6 today, and BarCamp Birmingham was a great venue to introduce this talk.
It’s hard to talk about all the great features that are a part of ES6, but I mainly wanted to touch on the ones that are usable today and the various strategies for implementing ES6 features as part of your code.
Want to know the short of it? For browsers, it’s fairly safe to use many of the ES6 features outlined below with the right polyfill. For node or io, io has better support out of the box while node 0.11.x+ requires specific ES6 feature flags enabled.
- ES6 Complete Feature Set
- Internet Explorer ES6 Support on modern.ie
- core-js, various polyfills for ES5, ES6, and ES7
- es6-shim compatibility shims for ES6
- Babel a transpiler for compiling ES6 code to ES5
- Traceur compiles ES6 as well as some ES.next features
You can view the full sets of slides over at slides.com.